Sunday 8 December 2013

The Nonprofit Weekly Roundup: Year of the Blog, Online Donors, and Movember Mustaches.

I have anxiety. The kind that makes me question every single thing I write. Replay things I’ve said over and over. Analyze conversations. And, sometimes, expect the worst.

It can get exhausting.

I’ve told myself that my nerves are a flaw, that I should be ashamed or embarrassed.(And, ok, some of the time I really do just need to relax). But I was reminded this week that my nerves – my sometimes shaky hands or sudden sweats – are what keep me on my toes. (Thanks, Frank).

And Seth Godin said it best (per usual) – It’s okay to be nervous. Instead of fighting that anxiety, dance with it. Welcome it. Relish it. It’s a sign you’re on to something.

Maybe you’re nervous about something big coming up. You wrote down an amazing idea for a fundraising appeal, but have told yourself it would never fly. Or maybe, like me, you’re constantly questioning and doubting yourself. To all of those things: stop fighting it. Dance with it. And maybe you’ll find some inspiration in the posts below.

Here are this week’s nonprofit highlights:

  1. THIS – thanks to Marc Koenig of Nonprofit Hub: Nonprofits, 2014 is the Year of the Blog. Here’s Why You Can’t Afford to Wait Any Longer. You’ve got 3 kinds of donors – the True Believer, The Casual Fan, and The Reluctant Tagalongs . Your blog is your gift to them, as well as to yourself. It’s a platform to connect, to earn trust, and for even the most reluctant of supporters to discover just how much they want to be a part of your community.
  2. More and more donors are giving online, especially towards the end of year. Yes, even your older donors! Here are the  7 Things You Need to Know About 2013 Online Donors from Gail Perry, with action steps you must take to ensure your site is armed and ready for the online giving season, and every season in between.
  3. Your supporters’ Facebook news feeds just got a quality content make-over, and grumpy cat is taking a backseat  to high-performing posts. Here, Facebook’s Latest News Feed Algorithm Update — Three Things You Need to Know, John Haydon walks us through what the updates mean and how you can be sure that what you share remains relevant and engaging.
  4. With 1.5 million tweets and 914,000 photos shared, the Movember movement did something right. And I want more. In her post on Convince & Convert, Jessica Gioglio shows 2 Amazing Movember Case Studies That Will Make You Grow it Back. Take a look to gain ideas on how your nonprofit could empower supporters and advocates to fuel creative  buzz around your cause.
  5. There’s a lot of talk about attrition rates, and what nonprofits must do to keep their donors around. But what about the donors that have already left? The ones that have gone dark and stopped responding to or opening your emails? Pamela Grow shares a great example of how one nonprofit isn’t letting go : Loving lapsed donors back into the fold | Simple, brilliant and oh so swipe-able!

Ok..

This one I particularly like, and not just because I wrote it. If you’re a fan of the trilogy, you’ll understand: 5 Important Marketing Lessons Nonprofits Can Learn From The Hunger Games

See you on the dance floor?

Yours truly,

Madeline

 

View full article

 

(unsubscribe from this feed)

No comments:

Post a Comment